Posts Tagged ‘Amelia Township’
With this posting I have moved into the area originally known as Amelia Township. The map below shows some of the earliest surveys done along the section of Flea Bite Creek where it is crossed by South Carolina Highway 33.
The first six plats were surveyed for some of the many German immigrants who arrived in South Carolina in 1752. Several of the surnames were written out differently between the land petitions and the names used on the plats. John Christopher Ways was Christopher Weiss on his petition; John Smeetzer was John Smitzer; and Sebastian Hube was Sabastian Huber.  Peter Faure was the surveyor for all of their plats.
The plat for Anna Keil (#7) was certified in 1762 but, by 1769, when John Rost’s [Rast] plat (#8) was completed the Keil property was being identified as Jacob Keller’s land. Keller was also identified as the adjoining owner when plats 10 and 12 were surveyed. Did Keller perhaps acquire Keil’s land by marriage?
Keil’s property was not the only tract to change hands during this period. Sebastian Hube [Huber] sold his 200 acres to Jacob Vaults on February 22, 1762. Vaults sold the lower 100 acres to Peter Bake on January 23, 1763. He sold the other 100 acres to Hans George Kelley on August 13, 1764.  Jacob Vaults was probably the same person as the Jacob Watts who acquired the Meyer’s tract (#5) by 1767 when he (Watts) filed a memorial for the property. Unfortunately, the memorial does not specify how Watts obtained the land.  Peter Bake was the individual later known as Peter Beck. 
Plats 9, 12, and 13 show some roads and paths, indicated by dashed lines, on the drawing above. The only one of these features that seem to correlate with a modern road, though, is a path shown on Jacob Keller’s survey. It seems to be located in about the same position as Nates Store Road.
 Brent H. Holcomb, Petitions for Land from the South Carolina Council Journals, Volume III:1752-1753 (Columbia: SCMAR, 1997), pages 152, 154, 208.
 Hans George Kelley memorial, 1771, Memorial Books (Copy Series), 1731-1778, volume 11, page 14, item 1; Auditor General’s Office Series S111001; South Carolina Department of Archives and History, Columbia. Peter Bake memorial, 1771, Memorial Books (Copy Series), 1731-1778, volume 11, page 14, item 2.
 Jacob Watts memorial, 1767, Memorial Books (Copy Series), 1731-1778, volume 9, page 349, item 1.
 Jacob Keller’s plat (#12) shows Peter Beck as the adjacent owner where the Hube plat (#4) adjoins his land.
Click Some Early Surveys Along Flea Bite Creek for a PDF copy of the drawing above.